After May 2018 I will be attending births as an Independent Midwife once more. I am able to provide full midwifery care and support antenatally, throughout your labour and postnatally. You will benefit from continuity of care from the same midwife throughout pregnancy, birth and the postnatal period. Independent Midwives are fully insured and regulated in the same way NHS Midwives are.
See more about the history behind the previous situation for independent Midwives here Independent Midwives UK
As well as providing midwifery care I provide practical and emotional support, and information, throughout your pregnancy, labour and postnatal period.
The cost of my services may be more than a doula, but reflects my training, my experience of 34 years as a qualified health professional and childbirth educator and the many additional training courses I have attended . Having been present at the births of hundreds of babies I have learnt how best to care for and support women, optimising the chances of you having a positive birth experience.
Depending on your individual requirements there are different options available to you. You can choose full care, just antenatal or postnatal care, or occasional appointments to complement your NHS care.
Total Midwifery Care typically includes:
- Monthly appointments from the beginning of pregnancy to offer tests, and scans, and to monitor the health and wellbeing of mother and baby. You will also have plenty of time to discuss pregnancy concerns and birth preparations.
- Appointments every 2 weeks in the second trimester (from about 28weeks).
- Appointments weekly from 36 weeks of pregnancy until your baby is born.
- Birth preparation/practical parenting information for you and your birth partner.
- On call for your labour from 37 weeks of pregnancy.
- You can contact me by phone, text, e-mail etc throughout your care.
- Planned attendance during your labour and birth, with a second midwife if needed.
- Postnatal visits, daily for the first few days, decreasing in frequency as your confidence grows. I provide feeding support and information on baby care as well as the standard midwifery care and tests.
Additional antenatal or postnatal support visits in your own home, are available if needed at £50/hour.
Please don’t let the cost put you off enquiring, as interest-free payment plans and other options are available.
As well as providing midwifery care I offer birth planning, antenatal classes, and antenatal and postnatal support visits. I have considerable experience with spontaneous breech births and vaginal Birth After Caesarean VBAC. I specialise in caring for women who’s previous birth experiences have been traumatic, and caring for women who have suffered adverse events in childhood, or as an adult.
I provide a high quality caring service tailored to your individual requirements. I have a calm and gentle way of working which is very popular with my clients. All care is provided in the safety and privacy or your own home at times to suit you.
A systematic review of the effects of continuous labour support was published in The Cochrane Library in 2011, issue 2. This review summarizes results of 21 randomized controlled trials that involved 15,061 women. It showed:
Women who received continuous support were less likely than women who did not to:
- have regional analgesia
- have any analgesia/anaesthesia
- give birth with vacuum extraction or forceps
- give birth by caesarean
- have a baby with a low 5-minute Apgar score
- report dissatisfaction or a negative rating of their experience.
Women receiving continuous support were more likely than those who did not to:
- give birth spontaneously (that is, with neither caesarean nor vacuum extraction nor forceps)
- have a shorter labour.
I qualified as a nurse in 1987 and a midwife in 1989. I took time out to have a family of my own, returning to midwifery in 2002. I then worked for 3 years as a midwife in a birth centre, caring for women wanting straightforward birth. I became an Independent Midwife in 2005, mainly caring for “high risk” clients.
Contact Joy Horner on 07939247462.